(11) Ultrasound is a very effective tool for treating and diagnosing a wide variety of foot and ankle problems. This is especially true for soft tissue problems.
Common problems for which ultrasound may be prescribed include:
- Heel spurs or plantar fasciitis.
- Injuries of the ligaments, tendons, or cartilage.
- Morton''s neuroma.
- Presence of foreign bodies.
- Soft tissue masses.
- Tarsal tunnel syndrome.
- Tendonitis or tears in a tendon.
Ultrasound uses sound waves on the body in a way much like radar uses sound waves. The waves hit a targeted area and are bounced back to a recording device, which produces an image based on a set of transmitted waves.
Ultrasound is a completely safe and painless diagnostic procedure.